Deadline for Registrations: Monday, 18 September 2023
Aim of the Course
The scientific evaluation of healthcare services and technologies is a fundamental element of policy and funding decisions in healthcare systems. This course aims to introduce the basic concepts and methods of health economic evaluation and related evidence synthesis both in theory and practice using applied examples and practical exercises.
By the end of the course, participants will
- Get to know the different types of economic evaluations and their application
- Be familiar with the basic steps of conducting an economic evaluation (outcome, cost, cost-effectiveness assessment)
- Work through practical applied examples
- Be able to review and critically appraise relevant literature
- Learn about evidence synthesis techniques focusing on meta-analysis
Feedback from Attendees
"The course gives a good overview of health economics"
"Excellent lectures, coherent content, well structured course"
"It covers most important aspects of health economics in a short time"
Teaching Methods & Accreditation
Further education short course consisting of lectures combined with applied group and individual exercises.
- Certificate: All participants receive a certificate (min. course attendance 80 %)
- 19 DFP points: Accreditation for Members of the Austrian Medical Chamber
- 2 ECTS points based on optional exam
Structure of the Course
Day 1 09:00 - 12:30
Module 1: Introduction to health economic evaluation
Day 2 08:30 - 13:15
Module 2: Evaluation of costs
Day 3 08:30 - 13:15Module 4: Evaluation of cost-effectiveness using patient-level data
Module 5: Evaluation of cost-effectiveness using modelling
Day 4 08:30 - 13:15
Module 6: Review and critical appraisal of health economic evidence
Optional exam for ECTS accreditation
The course is aimed at professionals involved in healthcare decision making at any levels including healthcare professionals, managers, industry, payer and decision maker representatives, and researchers who are interested to gain better insight into evidence-based healthcare evaluation methods. Attendees with an interest in learning relevant evidence synthesis, critical appraisal and evaluation tools will benefit from this course.
Participants can obtain 2 ECTS-points upon successful completion of the relevant exam module.
Prerequisites & Laptop
- The teaching language is English.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Excel is a prerequisite.
- Delegates are required to have Microsoft Excel (Excel© 2013 onwards) installed on their laptops/PCs to be able to participate in the course.
- The course exercises are presented in Excel, the language settings for the software should be in English or German.
- For those planning to attend the Exam module, a compulsory reading list will be provided in advance.
Medical University of Vienna
Center for Public Health/Department of Health Economics (DHE)
1090 Vienna, Austria
Coordinator: Prof. Dr Judit Simon
Deputy Coordinator: Dr Claudia Fischer
Fees & Payment
VAT is not payable.
Payments can be made online with credit card.
- Please fill in the registration form by clicking on the registration button below. You will be directly linked to the online payment-platform after filling in the registration form.
- Once we receive your registration and payment, we will send you a booking confirmation per e-mail confirming your enrolment in the course.
- Student fee: Please send us a scanned copy of your valid student ID-card.
Key Facts & Package
Date: 16 - 19 October 2023
Course format: online
Teaching Material: An electronic version of the course exercises will be provided.
Cancellation Policy: A full refund of course fees (less 15% administrative charges) will be made for cancellations received in writing 4 weeks prior to the course (until 18 September 2023).
Cancellations made less than 4 weeks prior to the course (after 18 September 2023) are non-refundable/non-changeable. However, substitute delegates may be accepted up to 1 week prior to the start of the course. Please email the course administrator the new delegate’s details as soon as possible.
In the unlikely event that the course has to be cancelled by the Medical University of Vienna due to unforeseen circumstances or insufficient enrolment, our liability is limited to the full refund of the course fees only.
For further information, please contact:
Administrator for Research and Teaching
Telephone: +43 (0) 1 40160 - 34848